Pages

Thursday, September 15, 2011

nothing twice

Nothing can ever happen twice.
In consequence, the sorry fact is
that we arrive here improvised
and leave without the chance to practice. 

Even if there is no one dumber,
if you're the planet's biggest dunce,
you can't repeat the class in summer:
this course is only offered once. 
 
by Wisława Szymborska 
translated by Stanisław Barańczak and Clare Cavanagh
  

How I wish for a second chance sometimes, simple do-over, or just for no regrets at NOT doing something. And since it is a photographer's blog I'll start with pictures. Yes there are regrets in this department too - I photographed a family recently, didn't think much when taking pictures of two boys being silly and their grandmother trying not to burst into laughter. It was fun and natural, the moments I strive to catch in my photography. And then while editing I looked at those pictures and my eyes got teary. Not that they were that great, I'm the last one to admit  "greatness" of my own work ( let alone cry over it :)!) and there is always room for improvement, but they were GREAT and a thought struck me, and my heart  started aching... I realized I wanted those pictures to be mine, meaning my family in them, my mom with my kids. I realized I don't have pictures like that...oh how I wish... but there are no do-overs...heartbroken...
Elena - thank you for sharing your beautiful family with me and for ...making me cry :)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Malina. And you made me cry reading your blog. These are not just pictures - these are priceless memories.

    ReplyDelete