Pages

Saturday, February 6, 2010

develop : on fridays : lesson 2

lesson 2 :: under the influence

It was such an enjoyable and exhausting experience to dig through piles of books and bookmarks to find those more influential. And I dug really deep - time flies so fast and I didn't even realize till now, how many of very important inspirations I managed to forget. Rediscoveries are great and now that I'm a little older I can see clearer what my likes and dislikes really are.
From a very young age I was into art. Any kind - it was something that moved me. And since then I knew I'd always have something to do with it. And so it happened.Somehow I love 2D art a lot, enjoying most techniques. I love chiaroscuro in almost all representations from Caravaggio through Rembrandt to Vermeer. I love how it makes the painting come to live, giving it a 3D effect. And what's interesting - it is not about details for me - the light creating forms is what I'm drawn into.Then I stumbled upon abstract - either color, or form, or order fascinated me and still do. (order less than other two- especially when it comes to my house :-D )
Kazimir Malevich,

Mark Rothko


- big influences with a lot of followers. And William Turner - realistic but in a poetic, moody, abstract kind of way.

How do you connect all of those, together with your love of nature ? You become an architect- ha,ha. I love nature, the calm , uncluttered simplicity of the ocean - very therapeutic and purifying.
Nature inspires me and since architecture is such a "grounded" kind of art ( is it art?) it seemed like the best choice. So what are my biggest influences there:
Frank Lloyd Wright - for his innovative vision, what a cliche, right? :),
Tadao Ando - for the use of light to create the simplest, most emotive forms - genial!!

I love Bauhaus art movement, and though I don't work as an architect I still visit a lot of architectural and design blogs and sites,like these:
iwan baan - architectural photography, really worth visiting;
dezeen - design, art, architecture etc.;
debi treloar - beautiful photography and design;
real life design -very cool to see;
, and furniture stores:
cb2 modern furnishings;
west elm -love the simplicity and the catalog;and IKEA - on foot... and budget :-D;
and etsy (I love etsy!) with all things handmade with love;


And here is what I do with the above, because what would a photographer's blog be without even more pictures:



thank you jefra+liz

Share

5 comments:

  1. Ah, Malina ... this was just beautiful! I clearly see your influence in these works and your photos are so lovely. Such a great job you did with this.

    ...and yes, architecture is art!;-)

    Just beautiful.

    Well done.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. this was unbelievably beautiful! I'm so proud of you and i adore your influences!

    ReplyDelete
  3. malina, your photographs are just splendid! they truly evoke a sense of calmness and simplicity. very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you guys! So much...! Sorry to be so late to reply but I didn't check here for comments (changing the settings right away)
    @Michelle - i would say architecture is art, too, I just asked to stir things up and revive an ancient debate about it belonging to fine arts or engineering; still feel as if I were in a limbo... :)
    @jefra - you made me blush ... thank you :)
    @bec - I'm happy you can see that in my pics; really happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. malinaphotography.blogspot.com; You saved my day again.

    ReplyDelete